JANUARY 9–11, 2023 | CHARLESTON, WV
Led by those with lived experience, this one-of-a-kind conference will be a space to reimagine the criminal legal system, and culminate in a collective day of action at the WV State Capitol during the first day of the 2023 state legislature.
Registration is now closed.
Monday, JANUARY 9
Our summit kick-off includes a welcome dinner and story-telling training where all of us will share a little of our story.
All Monday events will take place at Saint John the XXIII Pastoral Center, located at 100 Hodges Rd, Charleston, WV 25314. You can call the Center at (304) 342-0507.
4:00–5:00 p.m. Conference and Room Check-in (Main Lobby)
5:00–5:15 p.m. Welcome (Dining A & B)
5:15–6:15 p.m. Plenary: Sharing Your Story for Purpose, JoAnna Vance & Kenny Matthews (Dining A & B)
6:15–7:00 p.m. Dinner (Dining A & B)
7:00–7:15 p.m. Break & Coffee/Tea
7:15–9:00 p.m. Breakout: The Story of Our Why
- Teams Red/Orange/Yellow, JoAnna Vance (Conference B & C)
- Teams Blue/Purple/Pink, Kenny Matthews (Conference D & E)
Tuesday, JANUARY 10
The day will be chock full of opportunities to learn and connect, and will feature policy roundtables, citizen advocacy panel, and issue breakouts on topics like harm reduction, restorative justice, trauma in the criminal legal system, ending the school to prison pipeline, and MORE!
All Tuesday events will take place at Saint John the XXIII Pastoral Center, located at 100 Hodges Rd, Charleston, WV 25314. You can call the Center at (304) 342-0507.
8:30– 9:00 a.m. Breakfast & Day Two Kick-off
9:00 – 9:15 a.m. Break
9:15–10:00 a.m. Breakout Sessions: Round 1
- Trauma and the Criminal System, Sara Whitaker (Dining A & B)
- The School to Prison Pipeline, Eli Baumwell and Teresa McCune (Conference D & E)
10:00–10:15 a.m. Break and Morning Snacks (Main Lobby)
10:15–11:00 a.m. Breakout Sessions: Round 2
- Quick Response Teams, Danni Dineen (Dining A & B)
- Harm Reduction, Lill Prosperino (Conference D & E)
11:00–11:15 a.m. Break
11:15 a.m.–12:00 p.m. Plenary: Panel – Citizen Advocacy and How to Have Effective Meetings with Legislators, Alisa Clements, Ashley Omps, and Tawni Staats – Moderated by Eli Baumwell (Dining A & B)
12:00–1:00 p.m. Lunch and Policy Pitches (Dining A & B)
1:00 – 1:15 p.m. Break
1:15–2:00 p.m. Breakout Sessions: Round 3
- Restorative Justice: An Introduction, Rev. Ron English, Sister Rosie Hefner, and Greg Whittington (Dining A & B)
- Voting & Civic Engagement, Yvonne Lee and Deb Ujevich (Conference D & E)
2:00–2:15 p.m. Group Photo (Main Lobby)
2:15–3:00 p.m. Break and Afternoon Snacks (Main Lobby)
3:00–4:00 p.m. Policy Speed Dating
- Team Red (Conference F)
- Team Orange (Conference B)
- Team Yellow (Conference C)
- Team Blue (Conference A)
- Team Purple & Pink (Conference D & E)
4:00–5:00 p.m. Small Group Discussions
- Team Red, Amber Blankenship (Conference F)
- Team Orange, Justin Adams (Conference B)
- Team Yellow, Greg Whittington (Conference C)
- Team Blue, Heather Gregory (Conference A)
- Team Purple, Patsy DiCesare (Main Lobby)
- Team Pink, Darrin Lester (Conference D & E)
5:00–6:00 p.m. Break and Optional Activities
- Yoga with Laotong Yoga, Jennie Hill (Conference B & C)
- Art Project, Sarah Brown (Main Lobby)
- Restorative Justice: Practice Circle, Rev. Ron English & Sister Rosie Hefner (Conference A)
- Formerly Incarcerated Roundtable, Darrin Lester (Conference D & E)
- Video Storytelling: Share Your Story, Katonya Hart (Sanctuary)
6:00–7:00 p.m. Dinner and Policy Pitch Winner (Dining A & B)
7:00–8:00 p.m. Storytelling Hour (Dining A & B)
Wednesday, JANUARY 11
Time to say goodbye to John XXIII, and head to the Capitol Complex for a day of legislative meetings.
Together we will advocate for policy changes including:
- Restored voting rights for people on probation and parole;
- Expanded transitional housing for people leaving incarceration;
- Automatic expungement for qualifying criminal records;
- Ending re-incarceration for technical violations and;
- Increased community diversion to mental health care and treatment for substance use disorder.
Breakfast and lunch will take place at Trinity Lutheran Church near the Capitol.
8:00–9:00 a.m. Legislative Breakfast Trinity Lutheran Church
9:30 a.m.–12:00 p.m. Day of Action at the State Capitol
- Guided Tour & Introduction to “Working the Halls”
- Group Photo on Senate Floor
- Attend Legislative Floor Session
12:00–1:30 p.m. Lunch and Closing at Trinity Lutheran Church